Skip to content
Home » DOL » Permanent Certification Labor Process for Permanent Employment

Permanent Certification Labor Process for Permanent Employment

The labor certification process (“PERM”)

immigration attorney

Frequently Asked Questions: 
Change of Address and Update Legal
Representation with the U.S. Department of Labor December 1, 2009
The  following  “Frequently  Asked  Questions”  (FAQs)  are  to  clarify
best practices  for notifying the  Department of Labor (DOL) of change
of  address  or  representation  requests  with  the  National  Processing
Center (NPC).

California Immigration Attorney

Question:  I am an employer, and my company recently changed its mailing address
Do I notify the DOL of the new mailing address so that notices related to applications filed by my company are mailed to the proper address?

California Immigration Lawyer

Answer:  The employer should email the DOL Helpdesk at as
soon as possible to notify the DOL of the new address.  

Immigration Lawyers California

The email should include the

1.  Subject line of the email should state “Employer Change of Address.”
2.  Body of email should include:
a. The reason for the change of address request 
(i.e. moved office location);
b.  Employer’s FEIN;
c.  Mailing address the employer listed on pending application(s);
d.  Employer’s new mailing address;
e.  Effective date of the new mailing address; and
f. Each PERM case number(s) and/or name(s) of the foreign workers for
which the applications were filed that currently are pending 
with the DOL.
In the alternative, the employer may  mail a letter to the Atlanta National Processing
Center (ANPC) in lieu of an email that includes all of the 
information listed above to
notify the DOL of employer’s the change of address.

Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer

Question:  I am an employer and I am preparing to file an application with the DOL.I have completed the required recruitment.  My company anticipates moving to a new area of intended employment before filing the application with the DOL. Does this move affect the filing of the application?

Best Immigration Lawyers in Los Angeles

Answer:  Yes. 
If the company’s move will change the area of intended employment for
the beneficiary of the application the employer must complete recruitment for the new area of intended employment before filing the application with the DOL.  An employer must recruit within the area of intended employment (defined in 20 CFR 656.3), in
accordance with 20 CFR 656.17.

immigration lawyer

Question:  I am an attorney and I recently changed my mailing address.  
How do notify the DOL of my new address so that decisions on pending applications and appeals are mailed to the new address? AILA Doc. No. 09120260. (Posted 12/2/09)


Answer:  An attorney should send an email to the DOL Helpdesk at as soon as possible stating the following:

  1. Subject line of the email should state
    “Attorney/Agent Change of Address.”
    2.  Body of email should include:
    a.  The reason for the change of address request (i.e. moved to new location);
    b.  Employer’s FEIN;
    c. Mailing address the attorney/agent listed on pending application(s);
    d.  Attorney’s/Agent’s new mailing address;
    e.  Effective date of the new mailing address; and
    f. Each PERM case number(s) and/or name(s) of 
    the foreign workers for which the applications 
    were filed that currently are pending with the DOL

In the alternative, the attorney may  mail a letter to the ANPC in lieu of an email that
includes the information listed above to notify the DOL of the attorney’s change of address.


Question:  I am an attorney and I recently changed law firms.  
I continue to represent some of the employers for which I filed PERM applications.  
How do I notify the DOL of my new address so that decisions on pending applications and appeals 
that I continue to represent are mailed to the new address?

immigration lawyers

Answer:  An attorney should send an email to the DOL Helpdesk at as soon as possible to notify the 
DOL that he or she has changed firms.  
The email should provide the following:
1. Subject line of each email should state “Attorney/Agent Change of Address”
2.  Body of email should include:
a.  Employer’s FEIN;
b.  The reason for the change of address request (i.e. moved to new law firm);
c.  Mailing address the attorney/agent listed on pending application(s);
d.  Attorney’s/Agent’s new mailing address;
e.  Effective date of the new mailing address; and
f.  PERM case number(s) and/or name(s) of the foreign workers for which the applications were filed that currently are pending with the DOL.
Since the attorney is not continuing to represent all applications he or 
she originally filed, it is imperative to provide case numbers of the cases 
that the attorney will continue to represent.  
If the case numbers are unavailable then the attorney must provide the full name(s) of the foreign worker(s) for whom the application(s) 
were filed.  In the alternative, the attorney may mail a letter to the ANPC in lieu of an email that includes the information listed above to 
notify the DOL of the attorney’s change of address.

immigration lawyer

Question:  I am an attorney and the company I represent recently acquired another company and has asked me to enter my appearance on cases filed by the acquired AILA Doc. No. 09120260. (Posted 12/2/09) company’s previous legal counsel. 
How do I notify the DOL that I now represent an employer with pending applications?


Answer:  The attorney should send an email to the DOL Helpdesk at to notify the DOL of a change in address and a change in representation.
1. Subject line of the email should state 
“Attorney/Agent Change in Representation”
2.  Body of email should include:
a.  The nature of the corporate change;
b.  Name, address and FEIN of the employer listed on the pending application;
c.  Name, address and FEIN of the new entity, if applicable;
d. Mailing address of the attorney/agent listed on pending application(s)
e.  Attorney’s/Agent’s new mailing address, if applicable;
f.  Effective date of the corporate change;
g.  Effective date of the new mailing address, if applicable; and
h. PERM case number(s) and/or name(s) of the foreign workers for which the applications were filed that currently are pending with the DOL
If the case numbers are unavailable then the attorney must provide the 
full names of the foreign workers for whom applications were filed.  In the alternative, the employer may
mail a letter to the ANPC in lieu of an email that includes the information listed above to
notify the DOL of the change in representation and/or the change in 
corporate entity and address, if applicable.


Question:  The employer is changing its address.  
If the employer is represented by an attorney or agent does the employer need to notify the 
DOL directly of its new address?

immigration attorney

Answer:  Yes.  An employer with pending applications must notify the DOL of the
employer’s new address.

immigration attorney

Question:  May an attorney file a change of address request on behalf of the employer?

immigration attorney

Answer:  Yes.  The attorney may notify the DOL of a change of address, change in
representation and/or corporate change on behalf of a client.  The attorney should send
an email to the DOL Helpdesk at to notify the DOL of a change in
address and a change in representation.  The email should include the following:
1.  Subject line of the email should state “Employer Change of Address.”
2.  Body of email should include:
a. The reason for the change of address request 
(i.e. moved office location);
b.  Employer’s FEIN;
c.  Mailing address the employer listed on pending application(s);
d.  Employer’s new mailing address;
e.  Effective date of the new mailing address; and AILA Doc. No. 09120260. (Posted 12/2/09)
f.  Each PERM case number(s) and/or name(s) of the foreign workers for which the applications were filed that currently are pending 
with the DOL.
In the alternative, the employer may  mail a letter to the ANPC in lieu of an email that
includes all of the information listed above to notify the 
Department of employer’s the change of address.


Question:  If my case has been sent up to BALCA do I still need to notify the ANPC of my change of address or change in representation for cases pending 
with BALCA?


Answer:  Yes.  You must notify BALCA and the ANPC separately.

immigration lawyer

Question:  If I notify the ANPC of my change of address for a case pending at 
BALCA do I still need to notify BALCA directly?


Answer:  Yes. 
Please notify BALCA of your change of address following BALCA’s change of address procedures.

immigration lawyer

Question:  Which email  address should be used to notify the DOL of a change in address and/or change in representation?

immigration lawyer



Question:  What is the mailing address for the Atlanta National Processing Center where I should send notice of the change in address or representation?


Answer:  U.S. Department of Labor, Employment & Training Administration, 
Atlanta National Processing Center, Harris Tower, 233 Peachtree Street, Suite 410, Atlanta, GA 30303.  Please state clearly on the cover letter that the request is for a 
notice of the change in address or representation.

By Brian D. Lerner, Immigration Attorney