Skip to content
Home » long beach immigration lawyer » Victim of Crime? Get a U Visa from a Long Beach Immigration Lawyer

Victim of Crime? Get a U Visa from a Long Beach Immigration Lawyer

U-1 visas for certain victims of crimes


A Long Beach immigration lawyer can properly prepare the necessary paperwork and petition if you qualify for a U Visa.
This is a visa that is given to victims of certain crimes.
It is unfortunate if you are such a victim.
However, Brian D. Lerner, Attorney at Law, a Long Beach Immigration Lawyer, states that if you are such a victim, the law permits you to apply for legal status in the U.S.
Therefore, what are the crimes that one can be a victim of and apply for the U Visa.
The Long Beach immigration lawyer states that the following crimes will qualify: rape; torture; trafficking; incest; domestic violence; sexual assault; abusive sexual contact; prostitution; sexual exploitation; female genital mutilation; being held hostage; peonage; involuntary servitude; slave trade; kidnapping; abduction; unlawful criminal restraint; false imprisonment; blackmail; extortion; manslaughter; murder; felonious assault; witness tampering; obstruction of justice; perjury; or attempt, conspiracy, or solicitation to commit any of the above mentioned crimes.

Deportation representation


Long Beach immigration lawyer Brian Lerner states that it does not even need to be one of those exact crimes.
The Long Beach immigration lawyer explains that it can be ‘related’ to one of those crimes.
Therefore, even if you have not been subject to the exact crime, it is still possible to apply for the U Visa.
One of the most difficult parts of applying for the U Visa is getting the necessary certification from a government official.
Without this certification, it would not be possible to apply for the U Visa.
Essentially, the Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, explains that the certification basically explains that you were in fact a victim of the crime, that you assisted and cooperated with the government in regards to this crime and that you will continue to help should it be necessary.
Therefore, the Long Beach immigration lawyer explains that if you did not make a police report and did not help the officers or detectives with the information needed for them to prosecute the person who committed the crime, it will be very difficult to obtain the U Visa.
Thus, Brian D. Lerner suggests that if you have in fact made a police report and are a victim of crime of one of the enumerated items above, you should consider applying for the U Visa.

The Long Beach immigration lawyer states that the U Visa is actually a temporary visa for 3 years.
However, if you get the temporary U Visa for 3 years, you can them apply for permanent residency.
The U Visa allows a wide range of Waivers to be applied for concurrently with the U Visa.
Brian Lerner, Long Beach immigration lawyer, explains that unlike many other types of visas that do not permit Waivers, or the Waivers are much more difficult to obtain, the U Visa has more of a relaxed standard for granting the Waivers and allows practically anything to be Waived.
For example, the Long Beach immigration lawyer states that you can waive former deportation orders, multiple illegal re-entries, aggravated felonies as well as other crimes and even claiming to be a U.S. Citizenship.
There are cases where you might qualify for other forms of relief (adjustment through marriage for example), but you might not be able to get items waived.
In that case, the U Visa (if you qualify) would be the better option.

Immigration Attorney can Help

The Long Beach immigration lawyer goes on to explain that In addition to the ability to waive items that are not possible in other areas of immigration law, there is a large net of derivatives that can get U derivative visas if you obtain your visa.
Again, Brian D. Lerner, Attorney at Law, explains that the reach and qualification of the derivative beneficiaries is considerably larger than with a normal petition.
This is another angle that must be looked at.
Thus, even if there are hardly any Waivers that might be necessary, if you have a derivative beneficiary that would otherwise not qualify, then it would also be a good idea to apply for the U Visa in order to get those derivative beneficiaries a chance at becoming legal and getting permanent residency.
Brian Lerner, the Long Beach immigration lawyer explains that he actually had a case whereby the victim of rape was not the one applying for the U Visa, but rather, the relative of the person whom saw the incident.
She was granted the U Visa even though not a direct victim.
Thus, the Long Beach immigration lawyer shows how it is possible to get the U even though you don’t directly fit under one of the categories of eligible crimes.

TN Visa

The Long Beach immigration lawyer explains you must also show that being a victim of the crime has caused you emotional hardship.
Thus, Brian Lerner always refers you to a psychologist in order to get an evaluation and report of the emotional damage that you have suffered as a result of being a victim of crime.
Thus, when in need of a U Visa, be sure that you have an experienced U Visa Long Beach immigration lawyer to help you.