Green Card by Marriage

“This type of visa will allow you to obtain the Green Card for you, your spouse and your unmarried children under 21 years old. You can get the Immigration Green Card by marriage if the marriage is bona-fide. The immigration services done by our law office will be to prepare the petition so that the foreign national will have the end goal of becoming a lawful permanent resident.”

— Brian D. Lerner, Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer

If you marry a United States Citizen, you can begin the process immediately to get your Green Card. Depending on your current status and whether you entered the country legally, you can stay in the United States and Adjust your Status to that of a Lawful Permanent Resident. Otherwise, you may have to have the application prepared and sent to the United States Consulate of your home country.

The marriage petition must show the marriage between the spouses was bona-fide and that the marriage was done for purposes of love and not the Green Card. You also need to determine if there are grounds of inadmissibility where a waiver might be necessary. If a waiver of inadmissibility is needed and not approved, then the adjustment of status for the marriage petition will be denied.

The Spouse Visa

Adjustment of Status through marriage to a Spouse

Family Petition Immigration Lawyer

If you have been married less than two years, you will get a Conditional Green Card. This means that two years later, you will have to file another petition to remove the Conditional Residency to prove the marriage is real.

Family Based Immigration Attorney

The marriage petition will result in a conditional Green Card for 2 years if the marriage was less than two years. This means that you would have to file the I-751 three months before the two year anniversary of your issuance of the Conditional Green Card.

Adjusting Status in the U.S. to a Permanent Resident

The marriage petition can either be done through the adjustment of status by filing the I-485 and all other necessary immigration documents, or you could file the Consulate Processing if not in the United States through the DS-260 and all other related forms.