Skip to content
Home » Family petitions for permanent residents » Adjustment of status, Timeline, Fees and requirements

Adjustment of status, Timeline, Fees and requirements

Application to register permanent residence or adjust status

Adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident

Getting the Green Card through this is the procedure whereby you can obtain your Green Card without having to leave the United States, or to go to a United States Consulate for an interview.
There are numerous ways to adjust your status.
Firstly, you should always determine if you are under 245(i) to see if you can adjust even if you are here illegally.
Adjusting based on asylee status.

Adjustment of Status

We will provide immigration services done by a professional who knows all the laws of immigration and nationality law and will determine if you qualify for adjustment inside the U.S. Additionally,
Our law firm can find the correct path for you to take to get your status adjusted.

Not only will we prepare all of the necessary applications, but we can also attend the interview with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Normally, this results in the entire process going smoothly and without any problems.
Of course, if any problems arise, we know how to properly handle and take care of them.
TPS and Adjusting.

adjustment of status
adjustment of status

The entire purpose of the adjustment of status is to be able to stay in the U.S.
Therefore, if you qualify and your already in the U.S., then you can apply for the adjustment of status to obtain lawful permanent residency.

You must be filed in the proper place

The Adjustment of Status application which is precipitated by the I-485 among many other forms, does take around a year.
It will depend where you are living and what issues exist in your case, but that is the typical time.
An application to adjust based on a marriage petition will take the typical same amount of time.

adjustment of status
adjustment of status

Typically, assuming you qualify, the adjustment of status application will be filed with the proper district office of USCIS when you are in in the U.S.
It will take around 2 months for the biometrics appointment to be issued as well as the work-permit appointment.
Note that just because you might get a work permit, does not mean you will automatically qualify for the green card.

Our national immigration law firm has over 20 years of experience in preparing adjustment of status applications.
Note that just because it is filed does not mean you qualify.
Our immigration lawyers will determine if you qualify, if waivers are needed and what other issues you need to be concerned with regarding the adjustment of status.

adjustment of status

This Petition can be family, employment or Self Petition based

adjustment of status

Adjustment of Status applications can be based on family based petitions, employment based petitions, self-petitions, compliance with criminal related non-immigrant visa petitions, diversity lottery petitions as well as a variety of different types of investment visa petitions.

Some immigrants get adjustment of status confused with citizenship. Moreover, you will not be able to normally apply for U.S.
Citizenship and obtain a U.S.
Passport until years after you have obtained the Green Card through the adjustment of status application.

adjustment of status

adjustment of status

Be careful to remain in the U.S. once the adjustment of status application is filed.
If you leave without getting permission, then you will have abandoned the adjustment of status application.
However, if you have applied for advance parole and it is approved, then you can leave during the pendency of the adjustment application.

If you have come here on a K-1 or fiancee petition, then you will be able to file the adjustment of status based upon that fiancee petition if you got married to your fiancee within 90 days of entering the U.S.
However, you do need to get married.

adjustment of status

adjustment of status

Moreover, many times people can come here to the U.S. on various non-immigrant visas such as an H-1B, B-2, F-1 or a variety of other visas and then at the appropriate time file for adjustment of status to become a permanent resident of the United States.

1 thought on “Adjustment of status, Timeline, Fees and requirements”

  1. Pingback: Public Charge

Contact Our Law Firm for a Response Within 24 Hours

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *